Evidence for Polarized Solar Flare Emission From Simultaneous Radio Observations in Australia and Vietnam
- radio astronomy,
- radio emission of the Sun,
- solar flares,
How to Cite
A sample of 34 solar flares recorded in Ha Noi using the VATLY radio telescope between April 2012 and January 2014 at frequencies of 1415 and 1417.6 MHz is compared with the corresponding observations made at 1415 MHz by the solar observatory of Learmonth (Australia). While good overall agreement is obtained, a few differences are noted and studied in some detail. In particular, the use of different feeds in Ha Noi and Learmonth reveals a case of very large polarization of the flare emission.
- N.V. Hiep et al., Radio Observation of Solar-Activity-Related mHz Oscillations, Sol. Phys. 289, 3 (2014), 939-950.
- N.T. Phuong (on behalf of VATLY) presented at 2nd South East Asia Young Astronomer Collaboration, November 19-22, Bandung, Indonesia, 2013.
- P.T. Nhung (on behalf of VATLY) presented at the Conference “Windows on the Universe”, August 11-17, Quy Nhon, Vietnam, 2013.
- P.N. Diep et al., Correlated Oscillations Due to Similar Multipath Effects Seen in Two Widely Separated Radio Telescopes, Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, 31, e029 doi:10.1017/pasa.2014.24.
- N.T. Phuong (on behalf of VATLY), presented at Workshop on Astronomy and Astrophysics in Vietnam, April 7-11, Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology, Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
- P.N. Diep (on behalf of VATLY), presented at 12th Asia-Pacific Region IAU Meeting, Daejeon, Korea, 2014.
- N.T Phuong, Solar and other observations using the VATLY radio telescope, Master thesis, in preparation.
- N.V. Hiep et al., The VATLY radio telescope, Comm. Phys. Vietnam 22/4 (2012) 365;
- N.V. Hiep (on behalf of VATLY), Presented at the Second Academic Conference on Natural Science for Master and PhD students from Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia and Vietnam, 11-15 October 2011, Vinh, Vietnam.
- P.T.Anh (on behalf of VATLY) presented at the 7th Annual Conference of the Thai Physics Society, May 9-12, 2012, Phranakhon Si, Ayutthaya, Thailand.
- N.V.Hiep (on behalf of VATLY) presented at the 1st Southeast Asian Young Astronomers Collaboration (SEAYAC) Meeting, November 5-9, 2012, Puerto Princesa City, Palawan, Philippines.
- N.T. Phuong et al., The VATLY radio telescope: performance study, accepted for publication in Comm. Phys. Vietnam.
- B.V. Tuan, A study of the six major solar flares recently detected from Ha Noi and Learmonth at 1415 MHz compared with other frequencies, internship report presented at University of Science and Technology of Hanoi, Master Space and Applications, September, 2014.
- N.H. Phuong Thanh, A study of 34 solar flares detected by Hanoi and Learmonth telescope at 1415 MHz between 2012 and 2014, internship report presented at University of Science and Technology of Hanoi, Master Space and Applications, September, 2014.
- Australian Government, Bureau of Meteorology, Radio and Space Weather Services, http://www.ips.gov.au/World_Data_Centre/1/10.
- See for example M. Karlicky and M. Barta, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics (2004) 11: 471 and references therein.
- J.D. Kraus, A Helical-Beam Antenna Without a Ground Plane, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine,, April 1995, p. 45.
- J.D. Kraus, Antennas, McGraw-Hill, 1950.
- J.D. Kraus and R.J. Marhefka, Antennas: for All Applications, third edition, McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- See also http://www.w1ghz.org/antbook/conf/Helical_feed_antennas.pdf and references therein for an excellent summary.
- TESIS, http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/about_tesis.html;
- NOAA, http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpmenu/warehouse/2013.html;
- R. Hanbury Brown and R. Q. Twiss, Nature 178/4541 (1956) 1046.
- Space Weather Highlights, SWPC PRF 1991, 28 October 2013, http://www.swpc.
- IPS: 2012, Australian Government, Bureau of Meteorology, Radio and Space Weather Services, http://www.ips.gov.au/Satellite/6/3.
- E.W. Cliver, S.M. White and K.S. Balasubramaniam, The Astrophysics Journal, 743 (2011) 145 and references therein.